Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Rest Day

Getting out of bed on Monday morning was pretty tough. Early mornings here are just getting colder, and my warm king size bed is quickly becoming my favorite place in the world. Combine the chill in the air with the fact that the husband (J) had taken the day off of work, and you have me laying in bed for half an hour longer than I should have. So, thanks to my laziness, I had to rush around the apartment to get ready for school just so I wouldn't be terribly late.

I only really had 3 minutes to eat breakfast, so my only real option was a packet of instant oatmeal. Thank goodness I love plain oatmeal. J always tells me that I am the only person he knows that eats the unflavored oatmeal, and that it is disgusting. I love it though, so plain oatmeal all the way. And if I'm feeling really adventurous, I add a handful of raisins. ;) Ha.

My gigantic 32 oz cup of iced coffee and I made it to my 8 A.M. class only 5 minutes late, a miracle really considering how stiff my legs still were from yesterdays race. The cold weather really does a number on my legs recovery wise, so I knew that I should give it a rest today. A few months ago, taking a day off would have been a pretty big deal for me. Rest days send me into this kind of panic where I begin to think that I will lose fitness or immediately gain weight, which is silly! So one of my major goals going forward is to develop a healthier relationship with running and eating.

I typically love my Mon/Wed/Fri 8 A.M. lecture, which is Intro to Psychology, and have no problem paying attention. Today the prof talked for a half hour about our next written assignment however. (Which I might add, is listed very descriptively in the syllabus.) For a class that's only 50 minutes long, a half hour discussion on a 1 page paper just seems a little excessive! But for about 98% of the students in class this is their first college course, so I can see why he did that. It makes me wonder if some of them are so used to being nagged by teachers to do their homework, or if they just don't care. Either way, it can be pretty frustrating paying big bucks to take a course, only to waste a large amount of time on things that should not need to be explained.

For the hour in between my Psychology class and my 10 A.M. Anatomy class, I read the latest issue of Runner's World. Kara Goucher was on the cover, and I was really interested in the article that they wrote about her women's running retreat. She seems so likable and approachable, not at all intimidating. She seems like someone who takes their athletic career incredibly seriously, but still wants to be able to touch base one on one with her fans.
I thought it was very inspiring when she described how running became too much of a job for her, and she was just running to meet the requirements set for her by her contract with Nike. For her to instead sign endorsements with smaller companies such as Oiselle (a smaller, very female friendly running gear company), has the potential to really help different running companies grow. I know that I would really love to see running grow as a sport, and become more widely publicized.

When I first started running, I didn't know of a single elite athlete. I would be very interested to see if we could start hearing more about the sport of running, so kids would know marathon runners along with football/basketball/baseball players. With running a marathon becoming a more widespread goal, and running booming in general, it seems like more discussion of the sport would be the logical next step.

Would you watch or attend running events if they were more publicized? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment